Friday, March 14, 2014

Freedom and Enslavement (1-5)


Right from the start of the book, we can see a theme of “Freedom and Enslavement”. We meet an actual slave, Jim, and we meet Huck Finn. Huck is not a slave, but I get the feeling that he feels trapped. “The Widow Douglas, she took me for her son, and allowed she would sivilize me; but it was rough living in the house all the time, considering how dismal regular and decent the widow was in all her ways; and so when I couldn’t stand it no longer, I lit out. I got into my old rags, and my sugar-hogshead again, and was free and satisfied.” (pg 1). Huck isn’t used to having rules and someone telling him what to do, so he feels enslaved by the Widow and her righteous ways. Huck is longing for “freedom” because he never had anyone trying to restrain him. Jim, on the other hand, is an actual slave dealing with the reality of freedom and enslavement. He is the Widow Douglas’ slave, which is ironic because the Widow is very religious and considers herself a good Christian woman.

5 comments:

  1. Good start Gianna! In terms of slavery, think about how the sisters are slaves to their religion. Tom is a slave to his books. They only know the confines of the society in which they live and are not able to see opposing views...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Huck had restraint in the relationship he had/has with his father, but in this instance with the sisters it is out of care or "love".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the statement about how Huck is not a slave, but is being imprisoned like he is one (literal). i felt as if the widow and her sister were keeping him from leaving the house. This probably angered Huck who all his life wanted to be free, and for the most part he was not. I found it ironic how before Huck came to live with the widow he had more freedom roaming the forest than he did now. The only question that I would like to ask you would be, do the ladies (Widow and Douglass treat Huck like they treat the slaves (with no freedom)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you mentioned that Huck was a slave because of the rules that he had to follow and he was not used to following, that was a point that i hadn't thought of. I agreed with most of the things you mentioned too, like how Miss. Watson owned slaves and claimed to be a "good Christian woman". I liked your quote too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really though of Huck as a slave even if he wasn't black. Thanks for pointing that out. Jim and Huck are alike in ways. Before they were free, doing whatever they wanted in life. But now they are stuck with Widow Douglas who doesn't allow them to how much freedom.

    ReplyDelete